So once again, it’s a new year, which means it’s time for the thing I’m so good at breaking: New Year’s Resolutions. Rather than concentrating on one big thing, I’m taking a shotgun approach this year. My thinking is that since I fail annually at making one big resolution, maybe doing a bunch of smaller ones will give me half a chance to actually have one or two stick. If nothing else, the results could be mildly entertaining. Without further
adieu ado (Thanks to Benjamin Klein), and in no particular order, here they are:
- Write more. I said this last year, and I meant it, dammit. I did write more… quite a few Linux Journal articles in 2009, actually. But blogging fell to the wayside, again, and in addition to my own blog there’s writing to be done for the Linux Journal website. Not to mention my completely failed attempt at NaNoWriMo. I had a title and a darn good idea for NaNoWriMo, and never got any further than that. The thing sits there, in my Google Doc pile, mocking me. So enough of that. Write more, blog, tweet, articles, whatever.
- Refuse to let folks mess with my Zen thing. (Cookie for those who get the reference). When I was younger, I used to let a lot of stuff slide and was a lot more easygoing than I am now. I need to find my happy place and get back to that groove again. So let’s work on that. Less stress is a good thing, or so I’m told.
- Get healthier. Note I’m not saying “healthy”, and I’m not saying “I’ll lose 25 pounds by June!” But I will bypass that 3 Musketeers bar in Vend-O-Land at work, or at least I’ll make an honest attempt to. I’ll even make an attempt at tracking my food intake, too. (I’ve even got a nifty iPhone app for that!) I figure I can’t get healthier without tracking what goes in… I won’t try tracking what goes out. Ew.
- Prioritize better. Not shooting for perfection, and a lot of what I do is interrupt-driven, but I’m sure Kelly, Gillian, and Conner would appreciate more predictability in my day to day schedule. See “Zen thing” above too.
- Take more pictures. I love photography, and I have a lot of fun with it, even if it seems that all I ever do is take pictures of food. So I’ll try to take more pictures of non-food subjects. Maybe I’ll even get creative, who knows?
That’s basically it. Wish me luck, and I hope all you readers (Yep, all 3 of you) have a prosperous and happy new year!